Ads 468x60px

Blogger Widgets

Feb 25, 2013

My Baby Girl - Part 2

    By: J. Suzette Frick

    I arrive in Nashville, turning right onto Medical Center Circle.  Vanderbilt Trauma Center is on the right and I pull into a very large parking garage on the left, East Parking Garage.  Valet service takes over immediately so I can walk across to the Trauma Center.  I walk in and tell the receptionist why I am here and need direction.  She sends me to the 10th floor and I am greeted by an assistant who becomes familiar with the case and relays the status of what is going on with Allie.  There are two general waiting rooms on the 10th floor and I am directed to a private room with windows all around and a very large thick door.  When I arrive, Allie's dad and wife are there also.  The assistant comes in and explains that she has good vitals and that an intern to the emergency doctor will be in soon to discuss what is going to take place and Allie's overall condition.  I am scared to death!  She brings juice and water.   The young intern appears, shuts the door and tell us that they are not going to be able to save Allie's left arm and probably have to take most of her shoulder.  I scream!  I move to the trash can and really want to throw up!  I fall to the floor and scream and cry as I am curled up in ball.  I cannot fathom what is about to take place. It' unbelievable....a nightmare!  How could this happen to sweet Allie?  I was so alone....I traveled to Nashville on occasion for the weekends for fun; but never thought I would be coming to Nashville to experience this.  Later, the doctor comes in and says that there is so much nerve damage that he will not be able to save her arm and again verifies he may have to take her shoulder. He further explains that he normally does not go to the emergency room he stays in surgery.  In this case he felt compelled to go see Allie before he received her in surgery.  Miraculously the artery in her left shoulder had sealed itself off and wanted to insure that it stayed sealed.

      It's horrible!  The doc leaves and then all the sudden I see a familiar face.  It's a friend, Cece Howard Parsley, sister to dear friends of mine, Donna Allen and Brenda Nelson. Cece lives in the Nashville area and Donna had telephoned and told Cece the story. Thank goodness it was where Cece could come by.  When I saw her I totally broke down and was so thankful for a shoulder to cry on.  She was truly an angel sent to comfort!  Cece stayed for awhile, then I was alone.  The assistant came in later and said we could see Allie and did we want to be there and tell her her arm had to be removed.  I can tell you that this was the most horrible thing I have ever had to experience in my life.  We went in, it was all I could do to stand.  I did not know whether to stand, throw up, pass out.......All I saw was a beautiful girl with long blonde hair sitting up in bed. I learned later that because of the phantom pain, Allie had no idea here arm was missing.  She felt as if it were still there.  We told her.....it was horrific.  Allie cried and immediately her bravery kicked in.  We had two passes to go in and see while in intensive care.  One person could go in at night and check on here every two hours.  I was able to do that.  I slept some off and on in a recliner chair in one of the two waiting rooms.  She was later moved to a room on the same floor.  Again, two passes to go in and visit.  

     By that time, Allie's boyfriend, his parents, my mother and aunt and friends of Allie's were there to see Allie and comfort the family.   It was really hard with only two being able to go in at a time.  I would take time during the day to go eat lunch outside the hospital and had to shop for more clothing.  I stayed at a nearby hotel.  A couple of Nashville friends came by and took me to lunch or dinner.  I tried to take care of myself physically and mentally.  This was really helpful in keeping my sanity.

     Allie has been blessed with so many great friends.  One day when she was moved to another part of the hospital (more visitors allowed),  I walked in and there were five friends, gathered around and sitting on the bed and by here side.   That was so comforting for me to know that so many people cared for her.  It was so encouraging for the whole family.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Tips And Tricks|Latest Tips For Bloggers Free Backlinks

.........................................................

This blog is based upon my personal opinion and experiences. It is meant to be helpful by combining others experiences and successes with my own. The images and videos used I do not have permission to use, for some are not my own. Feel free to contact me if there is a issue and I will gladly remove it from the site. Lastly I am not responsible for any of the ads that may appear on the blog

Thank You.
Allie Frick
allie.blake.frick@gmail.com

 

Blog Archive

Followers