Ads 468x60px

Blogger Widgets

Mar 20, 2013

Tossing and Turning...Awaiting A New Change

     So it's 2am and I can't sleep, I have so many thoughts running through my head. I should be sleeping because I have to get
up and leave for Nashville in a couple of hours. 

    The day has finally come to check out a prosthetist, or as I like to call it go arm shopping! Woohoo! Those that have been keeping up with me the plan was to go to Dallas, to Advance Arm Dynamics.
    Well airfare is expensive and we just had to buy me a vehicle and I like to use the saying, since I aint going to Dallas now so far, the vehicle "cost me an arm luckily not a leg!" :) Any who! The reason why I was going to Dallas and not Nashville or locally to begin with is due to the prosthetist lack of experience with upper extremity cases. It is not their fault but it is just typically they may see only one or two cases a year as oppose to legs which are more common, not that their any less severe. An Dallas was strictly an arm institute, an they were very caring and on their website you can see all the things they have done for people. I also am a little bias because I know two people, Lauren Scruggs and Jason Koger, who have gave the up most positive report as well. But as of now Dallas isn't in the cards, but when posting on Amputee Coalition of America, on Facebook I was put in contact with Bill Limehouse, a prosthetist who travels to Nashville luckily, and his specialty is upper amputees. He has been in the field for 40 years. As much as my heart is set on Dallas I hope this works out, since its closer and we can drive so it will be cheaper. Now we just got to pray God will work it out. 


    I don't know what all tomorrow will hold but I just know my emotions are ALL over the place thinking about it! I haven't had a arm since November and in a few hours I could be trying on arms! I just can't believe it, its going to feel so weird to have a arm again! So new and exciting! My invisible bully of an arm is going to be ticked! Those of you that don't know, since I haven't addressed my phantom pains yet, I can still feel my left arm all the time. It is such a bully! Its not a nice arm. But prosthetic arms are supposed to help with phantom pains, so mmm someone is not going to be happy! lol. But I sure will, if it helps! 

    I try not to get too excited about getting a prosthesis because Ive talked to people at my level of amputation who end up hating their arms. It seems so complicated with so many different arms an parts I feel like Inspector Gadget! And then I hear people having to fight for insurance to pay, an to think all this is for the rest of your life is a lot to grasp! I was talking to a friend of mine today Jason and he was saying that it is so important in this situation to pick a prosthetist you feel comfortable with because you will be practically marrying them, since getting a new prosthetic and repairs is what you will now do for the rest of your life. That really clicked with me so we will see how the evaluation goes and if me an the prosthetist will get hitched!  ; ) Then I'll call Dallas and update them and see if their prosthetist is any difference in care. Wish me luck! Ill be back with updates!


"Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it." 
Isaiah 30:21


.


2 comments:

  1. Good luck, Allie! Hope you're phantom arm gets really mad, but not to be able to do anything about it. Let me know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you forr your support! Texas was amazing! I have been in need to update my blog! I cant wait to get my arm! I really hope it helps with the phantom pains! Mine suck so bad! Were fighting insrance right now to pay for the arm so its going to be a wait..just gotta pray and have faith its all going to work out! :)

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Tips And Tricks|Latest Tips For Bloggers Free Backlinks

.........................................................

This blog is based upon my personal opinion and experiences. It is meant to be helpful by combining others experiences and successes with my own. The images and videos used I do not have permission to use, for some are not my own. Feel free to contact me if there is a issue and I will gladly remove it from the site. Lastly I am not responsible for any of the ads that may appear on the blog

Thank You.
Allie Frick
allie.blake.frick@gmail.com

 

Blog Archive

Followers